- To get your web files online can be achieved through various mediums and what works best for one may not necessarily work for the other. This guide looks at uploading your files directly through your Control Panel and using a third party FTP program called FileZilla.
Uploading content using an FTP program (FileZilla)
This guide is specifically tailored for the use of FileZilla.
- Make sure you have followed the instructions in the welcome email to activate your hosting account, and you have waited 48 hours for it to be created
- Open FileZilla
- Select the Host text box. Enter the Host Name (eg. your-domain-name-here.net) or your IP Address
- Select the Username text box. Enter the Username from your Hosting Account
- Select the Password text box. Enter the Password from your Hosting Account
- Click the Quickconnect button
NB. FileZilla will proceed to to log you into the server. If you are successful, it will show you a directory listings. If you are unsuccessful, please double check your host name, username and password.
Note: The left hand side shows your local files on your computer and the right hand side shows the files on the hosting server
- On the right hand side double click on the www folder
- Then double click on the htdocs folder
- Once you have located your website files on your computer, click and select all the website files and folders that have to be uploaded
- Right click the highlighted files and select the Upload menu option
NB. If there is a file on the hosting server with the same name as a file that you are uploading, it will prompt you to overwrite the old file with the new file you are uploading – Click the OK button if this appears
- While your website files are uploading to the hosting server, you will be able to see the upload progress in the bottommost window pane in FileZilla
The following tutorial can also be viewed through our Online Demo.
Uploading content using the Control Panel
To upload your content via the Control Panel, please refer to the below instructions.
- Log into your Control Panel. Refer to the accessing Control Panel guide.
- Once you have successfully logged into your Control Panel, under ‘Utilities and Files’ click All Files.
- In the directory, locate and click www.
- Click on htdocs.
Note: All web files should be uploaded into this directory.
- In the top right hand corner, click Upload File.
- Browse your hard disk and locate the file you wish to upload and click Save.
Note: You can only update one file at a time using the Control Panel. Using this method is not advisable if you have lots of files to upload. An FTP program can upload your files simultaneously.